1 Live, Love, Yoga: I can't move my arms!

Saturday, July 21, 2012

I can't move my arms!

Last night, I went to an aerial yoga class with some of the other teachers at Ignite. It was such a fun experience! But after my arms literally felt like jelly :O It's soooo much more challenging than it looks.

We went to Satva Fitness in Escondido and I had quite a bit of trouble finding it. It was on Grand Avenue but I didn't realize that I had to type in W. Grand as opposed to E. Grand so I was pretty confused. Luckily, I didn't miss any part of the workshop due to my lack of driving/directional skills (I can pretty much guarantee that I'll get lost every time I go somewhere new).

We started off with a warmup - lots of stretching and some strengthening poses. Then, we were taught how to climb the silks! The instructor made it look so easy but it requires SO much strength. I tend to have more strength in my legs than in my arms so it was pretty tough but I ended up being able to climb pretty well.

After we had practiced climbing for a while, we moved on to doing tricks! We started with doing splits. To do splits you wrap both your feet in the silks and let gravity pull your legs apart. But, you have to keep your hips square to the front which makes it trickier and, as for all the tricks, you have to use your core a TON. Then, we did some tuck jumps and tried to lift up our legs. I was pretty bad at those :p but it was still tons of fun. Our final trick was one where we wrap both our feet then wrap the silks behind our back while in the air. Then, we lift our legs in a straddle split over our head. Kind of hard to explain but it looks really cool! We finished with a cool down and a lot of stretching. Even before we left I could feel my arms beginning to get sore. By the time I got home, I could barely move them!

It was such a great night trying something totally new and getting to know the other teachers better. I am so lucky to be able to work with some amazing people at Ignite! 

No comments:

Post a Comment